Monday 12 January 2009

FdA Fashion


Holiday Project
Me, Myself and My Life So Far...

When we were given this project I was very excited and couldn't wait to start. There were a million-and-one ideas rushing through my head and I didn't know where to start. I knew it would be hard to sum up my life so far especially as there was so much I wanted to include. I eventually decided to create a diary, showing events, special moments, schools, family and friends and much more as they happened in my life.
I was happy with the outcome of this and couldn't wait to see everyone else's.


Autumn Term 08/09
Induction Week

22/09/2008
I had seen the University before at Open Days and the Interview I had, but coming back and actually being here is very surreal. Today was exciting and nerve-racking, meeting new people and trying to make sure I remembered where to go.
I found it beneficial splitting into groups, as I am eager to make friends as everyone is in the same situation.
I was very pleased with our team effort on the 'Treasure Hunt', and it was even better with us winning. The course run-through was interesting and I can't wait to get stuck in.

23/09/2008
I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the great Fashion section in the Library. I felt I learnt a lot today about the resources available and it was reassuring to know there is so much there to help.
Tomorrow I'm with a different group, which is both good and SCARY. I'm looking forward to exploring Bournemouth, and gathering materials and objects for inspiration for our project on Thursday.

24/09/2008
I really enjoyed today, it was great to see the the town and know where all of the fabric stores and boutiques are. It was my first time seeing the beach here and it was nice to know it was close. I got a lot of inspiration for the project from by the sea, from the deck chairs, pier, and the balloon in the city centre. So I can't wait to make the idea I have 3D and get making the outfit tomorrow.

Design Ideas for Project



25/09/2008
Doing the project today was so much fun. I really enjoyed doing the sketches from my findings and putting my ideas onto paper. The final outfit was made around my ideas and turned out great. I enjoyed working with my group and hearing everyone's different ideas. The dress we made turned out really well and I thought it looked fun and also wearable, maybe not in bubble wrap though.
My group chose me to be the model which was great fun, I especially enjoyed parading down the catwalk showing off our dress.




Week 1

29/09/2008
The Holiday Project Critique was today so we all got to look at what each other had done and learn a bit about one another at the same time.
I enjoyed looking at everyone else's efforts and thought I received good feedback towards mine.
Today we were also learning about the four topics of; Rococco, Classic, Surreal and Spice. It was a good exercise as we were all putting in our ideas on what we though each one meant, and as I was not sure as to what some of them really were it was useful. We then picked one to research and do a mood board from. I chose 'Rococco' as I wanted to know more about it.

30/09/2008
Getting on the computers today was fun, and using powerpoint was helpful as I had forgotten my way around it.
The team building exercise in PPRD was funny and helped us all to learn each others names. I also found the tape we listened to very interesting and I got some good quotes and notes from it.

Lulu Guinness said, "99% hard work will get you to the top...trust your instincts and gut feelings."

What do you need to make it in the Fashion industry?
Have a full picture of the Fashion Industry, photoshop and computer skills and determination.

"A work placement is invaluable."

Be realistic, have organizational skills, be confident, good communication, be competent, have enthusiasm, team work skills, understanding and enjoyment.

Stacey Linsey - Bra DEsigner and Maker says, "Start with fabric, then sketch roughly."

HOBBS, "We're not making tins of beans...things go wrong."


02/10/2008
Construction today was very intense and jam-packed. I liked learning the different seams, as it was all new to me. Using the industry standard equipment was nerve-racking but once I had got the hang of the speed and what to do it got easier and it was no problem.

03/10/2008
Pattern Cutting today was good fun, and it was great to be learning more new things. To start with I found Pattern Cutting confusing, but it didn't take me long to get the hang of it ad I was able the understand the basic principals of it.
I can't wait to put all of the aspects I've learnt so far into practice.


Week 2

06/10/2008
We were constructing our mood boards today for 'Rococco'. I was not looking forward to presenting mine to the class as I get very nervous but doing it helped me and improved my presentation skills.
Everyone else's were very different as not everyone chose the same topic.
We got the new brief for the project titled 'Organic, Ruffles and Folds' and I can't wait to start it.
I am looking forward to researching ruffles and folds and seeing what designers are using these in their collections.


07/10/2008
Today we were given a new project in PPRD, we are going to be holding a 'Fashion Debate' on Couture v Ethical Fashion. This will be done in our groups, the group I am in will be for both Ethical and Couture Fashion. The debate should be fun and interesting.
We also went through good presentation and public speaking techniques which was very useful. We also had to answer questions and give our thoughts on clips found on YouTube of people giving presentations and speeches. Through these it was easy to see what we should and shouldn't do.

  • Put information into perspective - Use statistics, but make them relevant and understandable by your audience
  • Be honest and give your opinions
  • Personality - Be loud, funny, shocking, blunt (to-the-point)
  • Monotone voices will bore
  • "Easy, easy easy" Repetition can be good and bad
  • Use Tag question, e.g. "...you know?"
  • Ask the audience questions, involve them
  • Nervousness - Movement/Distractions - Voice Cracking
  • Speak clearly and slowly
  • Keep sentences short and concise so your audience remembers
  • Finish with a hard hitting sentence - Memorable

08/10/2008
We were on the computers today using the program InDesign. At first I found it hard to use and did not really understand it well, but after practicing the different tools on the 'Ironbridge Gorge' piece I got the hang of it. It should be exciting to learn more about this program.

British Style Genius - BBC 2, 9pm

A fashion democracy, the high street look. High end style at high street prices.
Mary Quant created moveable, sexy and young fashion.

Topshop is this generation's figure head of fashion.
Kate Moss has inspired fashion design and designers.

Twiggy - Face of fashion in the 60's.
"Twiggy Dresses" - Her own fashion range, "Clothing she could wear."
Kate Moss and Twiggy have both done fashion ranges.

Style advisors - Topshop, one of the first to offer this service.
Topshop lost its way in the 80's, it was 'cheap' and 'naf'.

M&S reaches out to all people, function-able, fashionable, widening its appeal.
'Peruna' - for style conscious older women, "Sleeping giant of the British High Street."

"There weren't teenager's clothes before Mary Quant", said Twiggy.
Mary Quant was designing clothes that mum's wouldn't and couldn't wear. That was the great difference. Childish elements - Adult styles (similar)

Celia Birtwell married Ossie Clark - Great combination.
Original fabrics - works of art. Celia and Ossie - Designed for Radley after they had money troubles.
Celia Birtwell has been rediscovered and now designs for Topshop.

Re-inventing the past has become a staple on the British high street as vintage has come back onto the market.

09/10/2008
We made a pattern for the bodice we will be making in Construction today. It was a long process as we made the pattern then made it in calico to see if it fitted well on the mannequin. This was a good experience to see how the process works to make a garment fit properly.


Week 3

13/10/2008
It was our draping project today. I had already made a bodice from the pattern we had made in Pattern Cutting which I wanted to be the top part of the dress. The rest I constructed using different materials such as lace, hessian, netting and other patterned and textured fabrics. I was very pleased with the outcome of my dress and thought it interpreted the brief well. It was great to see everyone else's experimentations with ruffles, folds and fabric manipulation.



15/10/2008
We got our new brief in InDesign today. We were set to make a poster/hand bill to advertise a Sponsored Swim in aid of a Charity for the Elderly. This brief is more interesting than the last and I am looking forward to finishing it, and using InDesign more.

16/10/2008
Today we started making the bodice from the pattern we made last week. It was fun making it, and great to learn the stages that you make a garment in. It was great to be on the sewing machines and still be learning more.

17/10/2008

PeclersParis 09-10
We had a very interesting talk today from a lady at PeclersParis who told us about the trends for 09-10.

Mode Femme - Women's Fashion: Fall Winter
Clothing with a Masculine influence - Jackets, coats, blazers.
Tailoring with a tweek, zips and piping, Unisex: girls being boyish.
Objects of desire, sinching the waist, and pushing up the bust.

Borrowed from your boyfriend, 'Rock n' Roll', Candy/ Bright Colours, Retro and Modern, Folk Inspiration.

Arctic Attraction - Organics, fur, linen
Experimenting, knotting, plaiting, hand-crafted.
Comfy Parka-coats, Icy blues, pale/baby colours. Functional basics-not too artistic.
Key shapes - wrapped, rounded, moulded, streamlined, squared.

Protection - SPF in Make-up.
Romance, Poetry, Minimalism (eco friendly)
Fabrics immitate wood, cardboard. Matte - dry, soft, crepe, rough

Endurance - functionable fashion
PVC, metalics, leather, animal prints, scales, chunky weaves, ecological dyes, camouflage.

Universalis - archaic back to your roots, 'worn by time'.
Subtle colours, a wray of denims, durable, delicately customised.
Aged by time-glass on the beah, making somehing look worn and precious.
Variations on shapes, colours and materials, e.g. modern feel - futuristic.
Toning down lavish into daytime.

Tune My Life - Unique and personalized (glitzy).
Customized, colourful, multicultural. Toned down bling, retro.
Punk and rock styles are pastel and toned down.
Lingerie inspired, silks, fishnets, transparency.
Kitsch Folk - exotic - geometrical folk, meting pop bright colours.


Week 4


20/10/2008
Today we started our Shirt Project. The theme for this is Folk. I am excited to start this project as it seems interesting to learn about all of the types of European Folk Costumes. A shirt seems like a simple garment to design but I am excited to start designing.

'Without nostalgia or idealist, folklore imposes itself strongly with vivid colours and primitive graphics. Sweeping away the dictates of good taste, it finds a path in a rock culture where it sings its identity out loud and clear. This fusion and diffusion, born of cultural mixes and exploding frontiers, frees up a colourful energy in the use of shocking contrasts. Regenerated at the source, with neither a cut-and-paste nor polished smoothness, folklore is authentic...and forcefully modern.' PeclersParis - Summer 2010

21/10/2008
Today we were using Illustrator, we made shapes using the program. We started with making the shapes of the playing card signs, such as heart, spade, diamond, and club. I found the first few difficult but then it got easier as I found y way around the program.

23/10/2008
In Pattern Cutting today we made the pattern for our skirt with invisible zip. The pattern was not as difficult as I thought it would of been. It made me excited and want to start making the skirt.

24/10/2008
Today we started making the skirt we made the pattern for yesterday. We spent a lot of today laying out out pattern onto the fabric. This taught me a lot and made me realize that the way you lay up the pattern on the fabric is very important and can change the way a garment looks.


Week 5

27/10/2008
London Trip

Fabric Sourcing - Applied Fabrics - Textured, pleated, quilted, embroidered or beaded.
The trip to London today was very useful and it was very interesting to see all of the fabric shops and what they sold. We went to The silk Society and bought a swatch for £10 which was very expensive.
We found that our topic of applied fabrics was very expensive but it was amazing to see all of the elaborate designs and types of fabric with all kinds of beads, sequins, feathers and lots more incorporated into them.

The trip was very useful and I really enjoyed going to London, its such a great place.

28/10/2008
Today in Illustrator we were using the program to draw flats of t-shirts and then of other garments. I started doing one of my shirt designs which was fun but also complicated and hard in some places and its hard to work out how the tools work. Illustrator is fun as I can see myself getting better.

29/10/2008
We finished our skirts today which was very good. It was a great feeling to finish it and I thought it looked really good. I would definitely wear this type of skirt and I'm considering making it in a different colour. The skirt was confusing in areas such as the zip as it had to be invisible but it turned out well which was very pleasing.
Bring on the next garment.

30/10/2008
Today we had Illustration inductions with Sam. Sam was really nice and very helpful. We had t draw an illustration of from a piece of writing that we were given. I chose 'Ba Ba Black Sheep' and it was very fun and enjoyable and I think it turned out well. We then went off to research illustration and find images and works that inspired us and we liked. i have the Fashion Illustration book, and I really like the work of Buzelli Kime. I found a lot of pieces that I liked when I looked online.
After having this session I think doing illustration for design will be a lot easier.


Week 6

3/11/2008
We did flat drawings of our designs for the Folk Project today. This was a good session as I did not really know where to start as the size and what detail to include were things I was unsure of. We also did some flat drawings from t-shirts, which was good to get the perspective and size right and what details to add in.

5/11/2008
In InDesign today we started a new leaflet. We could do it on whatever we wanted so I chose to do it on the Clothes Show Live. I thought it was a good topic to choose as it is coming up soon. I am excited to do it and use what we have learnt so far on this leaflet. However I want to learn new things to put into it.
We learnt about Photoshop today and how to cut images out of their background and see how you can photoshop an image to get rid of blemishes and unwanted areas. This was interesting and very clever.

7/11/2008
In construction today we started to make a pair of calico shorts. These look really fun to make because they look very wearable. I am really looking forward to finishing them and would definitely make then in denim. I think the zip area is going to be the hardest to construct as they have the most parts.


Week 7

10/11/2008
Today we started our new project. It is on the Shakers. It seems like it is going to be interesting and it shall be fun to see what designs come from the research. I am interested to look at Chanel as I think that many of her suits were simple and useful.

"Don't make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don't hesitate to make it beautiful."

11/11/2008
Today was the Ethical fashion V Couture Debate. It was very fun and informative. Both of our groups arguments were very good and I thought we both did well. There were some great points argued on both sides, and both teams managed to win a debate.

Week 8

17/11/2008
We continued with the Shakers project today and were focussing on designs, and got help on what else to research. I think I am going to design a suit as this is a simple, but durable, wardrobe essential outfit. I want to make the outfit function as one and be wearable as individual pieces with other items of clothing.

18/11/2008
Today we were continuing with out flat drawing on illustrator which keeps getting easier which is good.

Some second years asked Nancy and I to model their coats at their toile review today. It was very exciting and eye-opening to see what they were doing and what we would be doing next year, depending on what path we chose. It made me very interested in both however I am definitely leaning more towards the promotion side as i feel I would enjoy this more.

20/11/2008
In Pattern Cutting we made our pattern for the shirt we will be making next week. The pattern was confusing in places but I got there in the end. I also managed to do an extra collar which I felt was very good. I am excited about constructing the shirt as it looks fun and could be wearable.


Week 9

24/11/2008
Today we had tutorial with Sarah James and Sarah Lees on the Shakers Project. I found it very useful as they went through our work and told us what was good and what needed to be improved or added to. I also found it helpful to see what other people had done. Overall it was a good day.

26/11/2008
In InDesign today we started an Instruction Manual on Zeta Alarms. I think it will be fairly easy to do, as we will just have to use what we have learnt so far.

27/11/2008
Today we started the shirt. We started by laying out the pattern onto the fabric. It was hard to do as all of the stripes on the fabric had to line up and match otherwise the shirt would not look right. I eventually cut out and started to attach the shirt and construct areas.

Today the award winning multi-disciplined and entrepreneur Wayne Hemingway visited the Arts Institute to discuss his career, including how he went from a market stall in Kensington to receiving an MBE for services to the design industry in 2006.
I was watching the live streaming over the internet and I found listening to him just fantastic. It was very inspirational what he was saying.

Mr Hemingway first talked about his passion for design, and how he took around 30 photographs a day.
He then went on to talk about 'Red or Dead' the company that he founded with his wife in 1982, "We started 'Red or Dead' because we had a desire to earn money to not spend our lives working for someone else and because and because we are completely immersed in the only thing that drove us - youth culture."

With no formal training except a passion for design, Wayne and Geraldine, alongside his mother and Geraldine's sisters built the 'Red or Dead' label into a fashion phenomenon until they sold it in 1999 in a multimillion pound deal as they "...had had enough of the fashion industry."

During the talk, Wayne had some advice for what would be fashion/graphics/web designers in the audience when he told then not to pigeon hole themselves into a specific design inductry; "...just call yourself a designer as that covers the whole industry."




Week 10

1/12/2008
London Trip

Sport V Fashion
The exhibition today in London at the V&A was very interesting. On display was around 60 outfits including performance sportswear, work by fashion designers such as Stella McCartney who have designed sportswear ranges, and garments such as the work of Japanese label Visvim which show the influence of sportswear on high fashion.

The exhibition traced the customization of sports fashion and included work such as a jacket reconstructed from sections of Nike clothing by cult designer Dr Romanelli and Jeremy Scott's range for Adidas inspired by the work of artist keith Haring.

The final section of the exhibition looked at the world of sportswear obsessives - from collectors who own hundreds of paris of trainers to the Japanese fashion designer Hirofumi Kiyonaga who has created a brand named after his virtual football team, for which he designs two fashion collections a year. It displayed an extraordinary product from Nike's handmade crocodile skin trainers to Ends' diamond-encrusted shoelaces alongside examples of advertising campaigns for fashion brands featuring sports personAlities such as David Beckham modeling for Armani.

I really enjoyed the whole exhibition and my favorite garment was a colourful sport inspired couture outfit by christian Dior. It was outrageous and fun and looked great, it showed how fashion and sport can collaborate well.


05/12/2008
Today i finished my shirt which was fantastic. It was such a great feeling to finish. I am very pleased with the outcome of the shirt. I think I have sewn it well. There were lots of stages to it which made it a long process but I still enjoyed it.


Week 11

08/12/2008
Today we had a briefing on the new Sport V Fashion project. It was very helpful as we found out what we would be doing for the project and what we need to do. I think that this project is going to be very interesting and I can't wait to start.

10/12/2008
We handed in our final work from InDesign which was great and felt really good.

Tonight Nancy and I were doing a photo-shoot for a group of the second years, as they needed models to wear their coats for their project. The evening was fun and it was really exciting putting on the coats and having our make-up done. It was a strange and nerve-racking feeling though as I didn't know what to expect or what they wanted us to do.
I think we did well though and we had a great time which was the second years got their photos which was the main thing.
All of the second years seem really nice and helpful and it was interesting to see what they were doing.


11/12/2008
Today I handed in my folders for Pattern Cutting and Construction and labelled all of my garments. This was also a great feeling.

What did I think of the first term?
The first term was full of exciting things to do with Fashion. It was great to make all of the garments we did. To learn lots to do with sewing and the equipment in the studio. How to use programmes like Illustrator and InDesign. These were all great to do and I am very excited to start the second term.


Spring Term 09

Week 12

05/01/2009

Today we had tutorials with our new tutor Azleen. These were very helpful as we got advice on where to go with the project. I am looking forward to continuing with what I have started and looking into the performance and sportswear fabrics. I am also looking forward to starting my designs.

06/01/2009

We were starting to prepare our PowerPoint presentations for the presentation we are doing on Paris. We are learning more aspects on PowerPoint to make out presentations interesting and to keep our audience interested.
It should be good fun to do the presentation and see what the other groups have done.

Fashion in a Fashion context - The world is always changing. We are constantly being bombarded with new fashion ideas from music, video, books and television - changes what we can wear.

Q: What do your clothes say about you?
A: When I am happy I wear light, airy and colourful clothes. Something that is fun and I really like. When I am sad or unhappy then I wear dark clothes and sometimes they can be baggy.

Q: Who dictates fashion?
A: Catwalks, TV, music, celebrities, history, people (street style), royalty, fashion designers.
Princess Diana set many fashion trends.

Q: Does what you wear define you?
A: Yes, e.g. Goths, Chavs, Preppy people, Surfers, Skaters.

"Acceptance and rejection of a style is a reaction in our society today."
Fashion is a big industry: Many people are involved in the buying, selling and production of clothing, it is one of the biggest industries in the world.


Week 13

13/01/2009
Today we had PPRD and were continuing with our presentation on Paris. I couldn't stay long in the lesson though as I was modeling a second year's jacket, as they were giving a presentation of their work to the tutors. It was intersting to see what they had to do for this as this is what I will be doing next year. So this was very useful.

14/01/2009
In PPRD today we were told about a competition between all of the Fashion students at AIB in their first years. It was being run by 'Beales' and the prize is a £3,000 scholarship to put towards our study of the course. It sounds like such a great opportunity and I am definitely going to give it a go.
We were also going through some points that we would use when writing our CV's and covering letters. I found this very helpful and will definitely be using this information when updating my CV and writing a covering letter.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Things to think about:
  • Why should they invite you for an interview?
  • Have you taken the trouble to read the advertisement?
  • Have you taken the time to present yourself in the best possible way?
  • Would you fit the job well?
  • What do you know about the company?
CV - Is a marketing tool for selling you.
Remember , 1st impressions always count.

CV -
To Begin - Put a short summary/'snappy sentence' of main capabilities and achievements so far.
Layout - Is important, the reader must find the info, e.g. sub-headings, breaks, approx 2 pages long: including - experiences, achievements and about you.
Cover Letter - Why are you the person for the job?

"The future lies in being adaptable, enthusiastic, responding responsibly to challenge and opportunity."

Covering Letter

Speculate - In case of any jobs it is handed in not from a direct advertisement.
60-70% of jobs are internally advertised and filled.
Advertised - you need to pick out key words in an advertisement, in order to apply.

Some people read a letter instead of the CV.
Paragraph 1 - Reason for writing, topical, relevant.
Paragraphs 2 and 3 - Persuade how you can contribute to the company, relevant skills, experience and achievements.
Closing - Emphasis interest in job, enclosure of CV.

15/01/2009
Today we started our new unit 'Lectra', which is computer aided pattern cutting. It was good fun to have a go at what we would be doing over the next few weeks and it seems very interesting.
It was great to find out lots of aspects about 'Lectra', like patterns can be created from scratch or from existing ones which is very useful. I think it will take some time to get used to this new program, especially with all of the numbers and letters representing the different areas on the patters.

  • 'Lectra' is one of the world's leading software and CAD/CAM software.
  • Many factories are now "high-tech" so computer-aided pattern cutting is essential, as it cuts costs, boosts productivity, and enhances quality.
  • Reduces 'lead' time (start to finish).
  • Addresses issues in globalization.
  • More secure when transported.
  • There are several different packages available on 'Lectra': Kaledo - for design and textiles, Modaris - for patter cutting, 3D virtual photocopying, and automated cutting systems.
  • Who uses 'Lectra'? Vivienne Westwood, H&M, Arcadia, Cath KIdston, DKNY.
  • Lectra has pattern design tools to make pattern generation faster and more accurate.

Week 14

20/01/2009

Today we were giving our PowerPoint Presentations in front of the rest of Group A, ours was on Paris and was a lot of fun to do and I found out some new things through doing this. I found looking and listening to the other groups presentations was very helpful and I learnt a lot from theirs to. We got some good feedback and we know how to improve our presentation techniques and you could see what not to do when listening to other groups, it was very helpful.

We met Jo Everett today who is going to be doing our Buying and Merchandising section with us. We got a brief to do alongside the Fashion v Sport project, with which we have to design a board that has our chosen outfit on it but it is put with different garments. We have to arrange the board with a background and images if necessary. We will be using InDesign and Photoshop to present the outfits and display them in a way that best demonstrates how they should be photographed or displayed. I am very excited to start this and can't wait to start this section of the course.

23/01/2009

'Lectra' today was interesting as we learnt how to add seam allowances to the pattern we had digitised into the computers, we also doubled the image so that the sleeve was the right size as well as the front and back. It was confusing when it came to printing the patterns off as there are a lot of stages to go through, but once you have done it a few times I'm sure I will get the hang of it.


Week 15

26/01/2009

Today we all received our marks back from Pattern Cutting, Construction and Design from last Term. At first I was unsure as to whether my mark was good but after speaking to Pat I realized I was only a few marks from a first so I was delighted. I am very pleased with what I achieved last term and am going to strive to achieve an even better mark this term.

We also got feedback from the designs we had done for the Fashion v Sport project. I was very pleased with my final design as it took on the approach of my chosen sport - Gymnastics but it was more of a fashion rather than sport outfit. I went to London on the weekend and did some fabric sourcing and managed to find some Stretch Satin which I think would be great for my skirt. Azleen gave me good feedback on my designs and said to go forward with Patten cutting, which is very exciting.

27/01/2009

Today we received feedback on our blogs. Sarah Charles said this was the right way to be doing it which is good, so I shall continue with my blog in this way.

Today we also had a lecture with Jo on Buying and Merchandising. I learnt a lot that I didn't know about Buying as well as Merchandising as I was unsure of what this job entailed. I learnt that a visual merchandiser is different to a merchandiser. But a big thing I think I found was my interest for buying grow.

I am already interested in this career but after hearing Jo talk about it it made me want to pursue a career in this field. I am still going to keep my options open to the other areas in Fashion but I am most definitely sure that I will be taking the path of Promotion in September.

28/01/2009

We all attended a lecture today on 'Lectra'. It was very interesting to hear about the program, as I found out that Lectra make a wide range of products, and a lot of areas of design use then, such as furniture, car and fashion designers. Programes such as Textile and Fashion design are used by companies like Cath Kidston.

  • Lectra is the leader in world markets and a parter in the fashion industry.
  • Everything you do by hand you can do on Modaris.
  • Modaris 3D Fit - enables you to test out patterns before you've made them.
  • CAD and CAM in Fashion benefits us by - Re-using blocks, work and ideas; Saving time; Reducing errors; Reducing sampling costs; Sharing information easily; and Saving courier costs.

30/01/2009

Today in Lectra we were creating the cuff and neck rib for our jersey t-shirt. We also played around with neck lines and used other areas of the program. We were then able to print off our final patterns on the large printer. This was very exciting and very clever its amazing to see technology do things that we can. Using Lectra is going to be great when I know my way around it well, and I would definitely use it instead of manually cutting my patterns.


Week 16

02/02/2009

Today we started Pattern Cutting or chosen design for the sportswear project. I managed to make the pattern for my skirt and shirt/blouse and I am excited to start making it in calico to see if my pattern is correct and fits how I wanted it to.

03/02/2009

In Buying and merchandising today we learnt about creating a range, the department hierarchy, price architecture, pricing matrix and what a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis is. We also have to do a SWOT analysis of our own on a shop of our choice. I think I am going to do mine on 'Zara' and am quite looking forward to it.

05/02/2009

We had a Jersey Workshop today where we learnt about what machine's we will be using when working with jersey. We also learnt about what notch to have the overlocker on so that the jersey would come out straight and not stretched or pulled together. The Kansai Coverstitch Machine was something we also learnt about. We then did some Lectra where we re-capped on what we had done so far, by making a vest in 'Modaris'. Today was very interesting and helpful.


Week 17

09/02/2009

Today we had Tutorials with Jo about the project we are doing with her i Buying and merchandising, with which we are using Illustrator to create an A3 board with our chosen Sportswear outfit, styled with other garments.

My story is that I am doing the board for the photographers and stylists at a photo-shoot so they know how the outfits should be styled. I will add notes to my board so that it is clear what is wanted. I am excited about this and found the talk very useful.

10/02/2009

In Buying and Merchandising today we learnt about the Critical Path and about Fabrics. I found this very helpful as I didn't know a lot about fabrics and this session was every informative and easy to understand and keep up with.

11/02/2009

Today in PPRD we were discussing our Work Placements with Sarah. It was useful hearing what everyone else wanted to do and what they had or hadn't done so far. I have still not secured my placement but am still trying hard so hopefully will sort one soon, fingers crossed.

12/02/2009

I managed to both start and finish my Jersey t-shirt today which was a great achievement. I thought it would take longer than one day to do, but once I got into the swing of it it was quite easy. I feel much more confident on the overlocker and have used the Kansai machine to alter some of my garments from home.


Week 18

17/02/2009

In ICT with Jamie today I managed to complete my skirt and shirt for the project we are doing on illustrator with Jo. I started to put the colour in as well which was good.

In Buying and Merchandising also today we learnt about sourcing the product and what country was best for certain garments and fabric types. We learnt about different terms which we may come across, such as:

FOB - Free on Board, this means that the cost price of the garment has been quoted without any freight and insurance costs.

CIF - Cost, Insurance, Freight - This means that the cost price of the garment has been quoted with the cost of freight, and insurance costs.

"True Knitwear" - made from wool or other woven fabrics.

"Gauge" - measured by number, the "chunkyness" of the knit.

Quota - Issued to suppliers to start help restrict the volume of product imported from China.

Freight - Sea freight used as norm, (8-10p per garment). Air freight used for quick turnaround, (£1 per garment - insurance must be added on).

19/02/2009

Today in Lectra we learnt how to put in darts into our patterns and change their placing. I also played around with semi-circular tool and learnt how to make a circle skirt. This was all useful and it is good to learn all of the aspects which we may want to use on Lectra.

I handed in the Lectra unit today with the essay on what I thought about using Lectra and Lectra itself, and am pleased with what I have done for the unit and will definitely be using it again soon.

Week 19

25/02/2009

Today we had a lecture with Steve Gordon on our careers. We talked about what employers in the fashion industry want in an employee, what would put an employer off. How to manage our careeras, and how to network effectively. I found what we did today useful and I will definitly be looking at it when I go for an interview or apply for a job as it will benefit me a lot.

27/02/2009

In the studio today I was finishing off making my skirt and shirt for the toile review. I was hoping to get them both finished but the skirt I am making I keep getting wrong as it keeps being too small. I realised today though that I should of made it in a stretch fabric instead of making it over and over again. I'm sure now that when it is complete it will fit my model. I am pleased with the outcome of my shirt though and think that both of the garments will look good together and I am excited to see them on my model.

Week 20

02/03/2009

I finished off my toile today and I am soo happy, it is such a great feeling to have achieved it and I can't wait for the toile review to hear all of the tutors thoughts.

03/03/2009

Today in Buying and Merchandising with Jo we learnt about the Jargon and the 'lingo' that we will come across in the fashion inductry. I found this session very useful, I think it will take a while to get the jargon under my belt but with work expereince I'm sure I will get the hang of it.

05/03/2009

The toile review was today. It was nerveracking beforeNancy and I went in, but we knew what was going to happen which was quite good. We both went in wearing eachother's outfits and the review began. I was pleased with the comments that the tutor's made and I agreed with it all. I will now need to make some corrections to my shirt, like lower thre armholes and remove two darts but I am soo excited to start making the skirt and shirt in the final fabrics. 


Week 22 

16/03/2009

Today we had tutorials with Az on our CDP unit. We discussed what we had to hand in and what we needed to do regarding the promotion side of the Sport v Fashion project.

I then started to make my shirt for this unit. It was scary starting it as it is in the real fabric and making a mistake isn't an option. But i managed to get quite far with it. By the end of today I had completed the make-up of the shirt and just needed to bias bind the edges. So I think I achieved a lot today.

17/03/2009

Today we had Buying and Merchandising with Jo. We learnt about the Range Plan and had to do some Maths for it. WE were all given a sheet with six questions on it. These questions all involved us doing calculations to find out different things like the margin, cost and sell values, and % of business by the supplier.

It was good to do this, as it is what a Buyer or Merchandiser would be doing in industry; they weren't too bad either after I had got the hang of it.

We also had an open session with Jamie today, so I was working on my Buying and merchandising Style Board for Jo. It is confusing using Illustrator sometimes so I'm glad Jamie is there to help.


So tomorrow is blog submission day. I have really enjoyed doing this blog as it was very much like a diary. I will definitely be adding to this and looking back at it, to remind myself on what I did in previous terms, and how much I enjoyed doing things.

























































No comments: